Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Odds and Ends

Feeling Old
As I have gotten older the biggest change I have noticed is that I need more sleep. I used to regularly get by with 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night and could easily handle an all-nighter. But over the past few years I have noticed that this is no longer the case – I just can’t function as well with little sleep. Last Friday night, for variety of reasons (one described below) I ended up only getting about 3 ½ hours of sleep. I am proud to say I handled it much better then I had anticipated and needed a quick 30 minute nap on Saturday to get through the entire day. Maybe I still have some of it in me. :)

Acting Young
If you have been living in a cave this past week you might not have heard that the seventh and final Harry Potter book came out. HP7 was officially released at 12:01 am Saturday morning or Friday night if you think like me. I had no intentions of purchasing this book due to lack of resources and had hoped I could borrow a copy from someone who had. To my surprise, on Thursday my sister informed me that she just could not wait and was going to get book from Meijer’s, who was running a promotion – spend $30 get the book for $13. Prior to this she also was planning on borrowing the book. I happen to be at her house Friday night as she left around 11:30 to go to the smallest Meijer in the area and when she got there the line was over 500 people line. She called from the store, not wanted to stay (who could blame her). So I told her I would stop at the Meijer by my house on my way home. Thinking the lines would be gone. I think I pulled into the parking lot around 2:00 am and with my sisters list in hand I started picking up the items she needed as I made my way to the back of the store, where I discovered they had sold out of books. The good news was that their staff was out picking up books from other locations and they should be back in the next ½ hour. Hmm… what to do? wait at the store or go home, finish up some of the things I needed to do for the farmers market in 5 hours. I decided to go home and come back. Just as I was exiting the first set of doors, in came a group of girls, followed by 2 carts of books. Happily I went back to the back of the store along with everyone else in the store. The atmosphere reminded me of many crazy things I did when I was young. It was fun.

Harry Potter
No this is not a spoiler, I have not even begun the final book yet, much less finished it. My intentions where to re-read all of the books just prior to this one being released so that I could read them all in row. Unfortunately time has escaped me recently and I did not even start reading the 1st book again until Saturday. (Yes I really did have the 7th book in my possession for 10 hours and never even opened the cover) So over the past 4 ½ days I have been engrossed in the world of Harry Potter. I had forgotten how good these book were – so well written and engaging. Thankfully I am half way through the 6th book and will be able to pick up the 7th soon to finish out the story. Then I will be able to talk to everyone who has asked me about it. (Yes, I have been doing other things then reading, like putting in a full days of work. But I have spent all of my free time reading. :))

No comments: