Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Trip to Meijers

It was Saturday, about 4:45 pm, I have not been out of the house since late Wednesday afternoon and I admittedly was in a funk. I am not going to lie things have been pretty rough lately. But I am determined to do something. So here I am pulling into the Standale Meijer parking lot, list in hand for this fact-finding mission. I had literally sat down with several of my recipes and wrote out their ingredients so that I could price them out. So notebook in hand I enter into Meijer with my list of over 50 items to write down the price, volume and serving size with number of servings. I started in the produce sections. Bananas – my bread calls for 3 medium, okay lets weigh those and see how much they would cost. Now how much Zucchini does it take to get a cup of shredded? Carrots – no serving information on the package – how many are in each bag? This was just beginning of my purposeful journey. As I prodded along up and down the isles of the store I soon realized that I was completely unaware of anyone else and was solely focused on my mission. Did you know that the serving size of brown sugar is a teaspoon and there are 454 servings in a 4 lb bag. Who uses a teaspoon of brown sugar? Flour on the other hand has a serving size of ¼ cup and there are 75 servings in a 5 lb bag. Evidently McCormick does not find it necessary to put any serving information on their products – hmm will have to do some further investigating. Why can’t I find the cream of tarter? At least the milk label is sensible it reports the serving size as a cup. Oh shoot I forgot the corn syrup – I must go back to the cereal isle. Okay I am finished, I can leave now. Holy cow it almost dark out – what time is it, almost 7 - yes I did just spend 2 hours in Meijers and did not buy a single thing. Okay so now I am home, time to decipher the data.

No comments: