Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Deciphering the data

Upon returning from my fact-finding mission to Meijer, the real fun began (and unfortunately, I am being serious). I started by setting up a spreadsheet and entering in all the information I had gathered. Then I need to convert it into usual methods of measurement. (Nerd Alert) Now 3 teaspoons = 1 Tablespoon and 16 Tablespoons = 1 cup. I can do this. Brown Sugar – 454 teaspoons divided by 3 divided by 16 gives me 9 cups – now how difficult would it be to put that on the bag? 9 cups goes into 2.99 how many times? Okay a cup of brown sugar costs .33 - this is fun. Flour, 75 ¼ cups servings gives me 18 ¾ cups of flour in a 5 lb bag – that can’t be right. 5 lbs of sugar which is pretty much the same size only gives me 11 ¾ cup – that seams like a huge difference. I know I will check the Tupperware I keep my flour in to see how many cups it holds. Hmm it holds that much, I guess it must be right – only .10 cents a cup of flour. Now the vanilla – how am I going to figure out that one? No information on the website. Hmm…. Well there is one ounce in the bottle and 2 Tablespoons equal 1 ounce, so that would make 6 teaspoons – no that can’t be right? You have to get more then 6 teaspoons out that bottle – for the amount you pay for it. I know, I have one bottle of vanilla that is almost gone, I will go put the vanilla aside, fill the bottle with water and measure it out. 1, 2, … 5, 6, so there really is only 6 teaspoons of vanilla in a bottle. That is .55 cents a teaspoon – outrageous!! The chart is completed, I now have all the basic ingredients broken down by price per normal unit. Next is to translate my recipes and figure out how much each one cost. Onto the next spreadsheet! (NERD ALERT) I am enjoying this all way too much. Holy Cow some of these desserts cost a lot to make!! I am going to have to watch for sales. I really need a chocolate based cookie in my mix. What time is it – not quite 11:00 pm – pleanty of time to whip up a batch – lets go do experimenting. I still can’t believe how much vanilla is… ***If you ever had any question why I majored in Econ - this should clear it up***

No comments: