Monday, September 24, 2007

Mackinacisms

This weekend was the 6th time in the past 10 years I have gone up to Mackinac Island, and I have to say I love it there. To me the island is this safe wonderland where you are transformed into a bygone era, brought back to a slower time and can just forget about the real world for a while. In addition the conference I attended is a large group of like minded people who I have been involved with for 12 years now. To me it is kind of like a family reunion – a great big dysfunctional family, but a family none the less.

I think this is part of the reason I was so disturbed when I saw a new addition to main street.
I don’t have any against Starbucks per say, but to me to see it in downtown Mackinac Island, just concerns me that this is opening a door for a total commercialization of the Island. I love the idea of small mom and pop stores owned by the year round residents of the island that you can not find any where else. The restaurants there are familiar and comfortable and I would hate the idea of a McDonalds nestled in between fudge shops. I hope that this starbucks in the exception and it does not go any further.

There are a many things that you only find on Mackinac and I took some pictures of a few of my favorite things.Taking a bike ride around the Island is a must! One of the first places I pass is Mission Point where they always have beautiful flowers. Here are some pictures of the view from the bike ride. If you look real closely in this one you can see the bridge in the back. A few years back we discovered one of the funniest things I have ever seen. A gated community on the Island. Hmmm.... no cars allowed on the Island, no fence on either side of the gate, so the horses, bikes or people walking can just go around the gate. Unfortunately the gate was open as I rode by, so the effect is not quite as strong.


Only I would find the hidden Mickey on the Island - after finding it years ago, it is now one of my favorite pieces of Disney trivia.

One tradition I did not get to do this year was to go to the Island school and swing. It is the best view I have ever had on a swing. But I did get a quick picture.
This is the house we stayed in last time - it brings back lots of great memories and from now on will always be a stopping point.And of course you can not forget the Fudge!

All in all it was a great weekend and I will miss it until next time.

No comments: