Thursday, May 31, 2007

Off topic nostalgia

It is funny how some of the smallest things make you sad. After waiting until the last possible moment, tonight I had to do the inevitable and replace my license plate. My old plate was the classic blue background with the white letters and I got it many years ago with my first car.







To me that plate has become a part of my identity like my Social Security number, drivers license number or credit card number. Something I could quickly provide with out even thinking about it and quite frankly I like it. But now it is gone and that got me thinking. That license plate has lasted through the 3 cars I have owned, including surviving my serious car accident 9 years ago – the car did not survive, it was totaled. I think of all the miles it logged, over 250,000. Crisscrossing the state countless times for work, the commutes to Lansing and Southfield and all those counties I covered when in the field. Plus all the fun times, multiple trips to Traverse City, Mackinac, Chicago, Indiana, Cedar Point, Toronto. Not to mentions the times it remained parked as I flew off to other states and countries. I think of all the people who have ridden in those cars and so many crazy times, all the good and bad, the laughter and the tears. That piece of metal has been with me for a long time. I never would have thought I would be the type to keep a license plate, but tonight I just could not bring myself to throw it away.



So this is my new one, hopefully it will last as long as the old one and have as many memories. But it is going to take me a while to get used to it.

No comments: