Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Glitch, Snafu, hiccup, derailment…

In the midst of a successful first sale last week, I learned a bit of discouraging news. I finally got in touch with one of the area farmers markets and they informed me that in order to sell baked good at Farmers markets they must be made in a licensed kitchen. So I proceeded to contact the county Department of Health and then the State Department of Agriculture to learn what constitutes a licensed kitchen. One of the first things I was told that it could not be my home kitchen. The good news is that potentially a church or school could be one, which means my church might be a potential, but I would have to get permission first. Then there is the whole licensing process, including inspections and fees. I can only imagine who much this is going to cost and how long it will take and what if my church does not work out. UGH!!! This whole thing makes me mad – here I am, just trying to be productive, trying to find a way to make some money, trying to be a contributor to the local economy not a burden and now I have to deal with red tape and bureaucracy. Michigan’s economy is so terrible right now, you would think the Government would be doing all it can to encourage and help people wanting to start small business’, but no, they are trying to make up for the deficit on the backs of those trying to improve things!!! That being said – if anyone interested in donating to the cause let me know.

No comments: