Saturday, January 5, 2008

Jan. 5, 2008, What are you thinking about?

The new year is a mere 5 days old but the holidays already feel like they were months ago due to the rapid switch of focus by so many facets. Now every year people start to get back to real life after the holidays relatively quickly, but this year it has been faster then normal. What are you focusing on?

IF you are the retail community it is Valentines Day and in some places St. Patrick’s Day. While doing some errands this afternoon I saw center isles filled with pink and red hearted items and a few end caps with green shamrocks. With these major holidays being 40 days and 72 days away respectively I guess I should not be that surprised, but I am. I remember studying for my exams in High School late in January and taking a study break with my sister to go to Meijers to see if the conversation hearts were out yet - they were not always available 3 weeks before the big day. Now we have almost 6 weeks – crazy. With Easter being early this year I would expect to see bunnies and eggs hitting the shelves any day. Of course while I am on the topic of Valentines Day – if you are thinking about giving someone special in your life some chocolates, consider Erinn’s Edibles are your source. :)

IF you are following current events the biggest stories right now are the Presidential Primary and Brittney Spears. Which to tackle first?

Britney Spears – what can you say about that girl? She obviously is in need of some major help and I wish that someone in her family, maybe her parents, would get some sense and get her committed until she can get that help. But considering her family’s track record, I don’t see that happening. Thankfully those babies are away from her unharmed. At least the Judge had some sense in that one. Does anyone else see the parallels to Anna Nicole Smith’s life? I am not going to be surprised if Britney’s has the same ending. I don’t bring this up to be gossipy, but just because watching this travesty unfold it has made me so thankful. Maybe I have not had the easiest of years and maybe I have a few issues, but compared to that mess, it is nothing. I continue to be thankful for all the blessings in my life and the people surrounding me who really care.

Presidential Primary – if you are in Michigan we are just 10 days away from voting for our choice for President. I know that I will be voting on January 15th, but still have no idea who I will be voting for – none of the above is not an option. Admittedly I have not paid as much attention to this campaign as I have in years past, but that is in part due to the fact that I am not real excited about any of the candidates. But tonight I sat down and watched the big New Hampshire debate, both parties. It was pretty interesting, I have a bit of a renewed vigor to make sure the “other side” does not get elected after hearing them talk, but not sure who can do that. I guess sometime between now and leaving the voting booth I will decide.

No comments: