Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Glamour


I am guessing you are wondering how I ended up being a guest blogger on Glamour Magazine’s political blog “glamocracy” I actually just kind of fell into it. I was going to one of the candidates rally on Monday night as I was doing some research to try to decide who I was voting for. A former co-worker of mine had received a phone call from Glamour asking if they knew of any young republican women who were interested in doing a blog post about Tuesday’s primary. This former co-worker asked me if I was interested and I said maybe? So I put a call into Glamour. Initially the person I spoke to said she was not sure if they were still looking for anyone, but asked me a few questions. I think once I said that I was still undecided, which was true and that I was attending as many events as possible to make up my mind, she was interested. Over the next couple hours I had a few conversations with her and her editor and had to submit writing examples and a picture. I think finding a picture was the hardest part of the task. :) After reviewing my info they asked me to write a piece on my thoughts and ask some of my friends who they were voting for and why? I sent out a mass email asking for some opinions, but knowing that many of the people I was asking worked for organizations or people who have not endorsed any presidential candidate, I offered the use of an alias and several of them took me up on the offer. I enjoyed coming up with some new identities for my friends and even made a couple of them a few years younger. I figured if you are going by an alias you might as well be younger. :)
I have everything into Glamour by mid morning on Tuesday, but did not hear for a while if they were going to publish it or not. I actually saw it online before I got the call. I have to admit I was pretty excited. I can’t say that getting published has been a life long dream or anything, but it is pretty cool. Granted it is Glamour we are talking about – I don’t think I have ever even read the magazine. And I am not sure I want any one to vote if they are relying solely on Glamour to learn about the candidate. But I did see this as a great opportunity – how often does a magazine like Glamour give a voice to a conservative republican? I thought this was a wonderful opportunity to show the opinions of several republican women to a forum that usually dismisses their views.

No comments: