Sunday, March 23, 2008

I’m dreaming of a white Easter?

Hmm… something does not sound quite right there, might it be the six inches of snow we got Friday. I know Easter was early this year, but come on!

Some fun facts about the date of Easter –

The dating of Easter is based on the lunar calendar that Hebrew people use to identify Passover, which is why it moves around on our Roman calendar. Easter is always the first Sunday after the first full moon that follows the Spring Equinox which is March 20th. Only the most elderly, 95 years or older, of our population have ever experienced an Easter this early, and it will be the last time living person walking the earth today will see it happen again. The next time Easter will be this early (March 23) will be the year 2228 which is 220 years from now. The last time it occurred on March 23 was 1913. Furthermore, it will happen one day sooner, on March 22, but not until the year 2285 (227 years from now). The last time it was on March 22 was 1818. No one alive today has ever seen, or will ever see an earlier East than this year!

Due to the weather, the Good Friday service at my church was cancelled on Friday and I have to I was pretty disappointed. I understand it was terrible out, I was driving in it, but if there is one day I want to be in church it is Good Friday. To me, Easter is just not the same.

I do hope you had a blessed weekend and understand the wonderful day we celebrate today.

No comments: